What is Nutrition?
Nutrition is the study of food at work in our bodies, our source for energy, and the medium for which our nutrients can function. Think of nutrition as the building blocks of life. The essential nutrients for life include carbohydrates, proteins, and lipids (fats), as well as fiber, vitamins, minerals, and water. Nutrition is a young field and the information we are learning is changing our thoughts on food all the time.
The Key To A Healthy Diet Is Balance
• The most important elements of good nutrition are:
- Balanced diet that includes: vegetables, fruit, protein, and carbohydrates.
- Watch your portion sizes. Make sure that half your plate is fruits and vegetables.
- Eat a rainbow of fruits and vegetables. Each fruit and vegetable gives you different nutrient that keeps you healthy.
- Vary your proteins and look to eat lean proteins, such as poultry and fish over beef and pork.
- Limit the portion amount of carbohydrates such as rice, pasta and bread. When eating these look to whole grain choices, such as brown rice.
- Drink water. Keeping hydrates is very important to good health and helps you avoid sugary drinks.